Friday, December 22, 2006

It’s Christmastime...

...And I want everyone who reads this blog (yes, both of you) to stop for a moment. Think about the people in your life that you love, and that love you. Have you told them today that you love them? No? What’s stopping you?

When my best friend Mikey died 7 years ago, our parting words the last time I saw him, some 1.5 hours before he died, were “I’ll talk to you tomorrow”. Well, tomorrow never came. But, Mikey and I knew how each felt about the other.
When my dad died last March, I was at peace, because I made sure he knew I loved him, and I knew he loved me. His last words to me were “Don’t smoke. I’m not kidding, either, this shit is for real.”, but we’d grown closer in his last 2 years than we ever had, and we were able to express our love for each other openly. I’ve been very lucky; everyone I lost knew how much I loved them.

Can you say that?

Are you pissed at your brother for putting a cigarette hole in your couch, or holding a grudge against an in-law for some horrific flatware misalignment incident from Thanksgiving in 1967? There are a lot of you out there who are not talking to someone important for something really stupid. Fix it. Life is too short.

Besides, it’s much easier on the soul to forgive, to love, to smile, and to give than it is to fester and burn. It’s OK to rant about stuff, as you may have read here in posts past. But, when it counts, you need to love. So do it. You know you can.

And even for the mundane stuff, you’re too busy, you’re uncomfortable saying it, you’re too reserved, well put your man pants on, and say it. Let’s practice.

I love you.

There, now, was that so hard?

It’s Christmas, so it’s the easiest time of year to do this sort of thing; you can break it in with everyone else on the emotional bunny slope. But do it.

Tomorrow might not come.

May you all have a joyous, merry, and healthy Christmas. And if you’re Jewish, then a blessed and joyously happy Chanukah to you! Let the depths of your love demonstrate to everyone who you really are.

No comments: